Thursday, March 24, 2016

New terrain for 6mm

My goal was really to find time to paint the 6th Light Demi Brigade.  However, the itch came over me to have some better terrain to go with this ever expanding French Rev force I am building.

Although the painting continues (hopefully more over this weekend), I decided to build a field network and trees to go with it.

I took the idea for trees from http://www.6mmacw.com/6mm-terrain-tips.html and even some of the field ideas.

In the picture below are Austrian Dragoons (bottom right) vs French Dragoons (coming down the hill upper left) with the 22nd DMB in square and supporting artillery near the cleared out tree area and along the road.


The field is simply part of a Fruit Loop box flipped upside down.  Then pieces of terrain matting or carpet samples lightly glued on top.  The fences and the roads come from http://www.paperterrain.com.  The fences are glued to popsicle sticks which have been painted green and flocked.  On the whole for my first "major" terrain piece I think it worked on pretty well.

The "stone fences" that line the road/field border are just small popsicle sticks with glue on them covered immediately by train ballast.  This was then painted black and then dry brushed with 3 shades of grey.  Dark, medium, light.  It worked out ok.


The trees also worked out well.  I had done a test batch for a CW scenario in the early spring.  Those trees were brown and looked ok, but I certainly like the green look to these.  For me it really gives a "live" feel to the game.

Now on to the 6th Light Demi Brigade

No comments:

Post a Comment