Saturday, December 10, 2016

New Mat Concept: Artist Chalk Terrain

I have been trying to figure out how to make an acceptable looking game mat that can fit the scenarios I want to play without needing to put a ton of time into the terrain.  I know some people love making that stuff, and I agree that a game with great looking terrain is amazing.

For me, the time to put into making that terrain just isn't an option.  I did come across a blog that by chance developed a technique of making game mats.  His initial approach was to paint his terrain onto a mat.  I liked the idea but it was still too time consuming for me to try and experiment with.  By chance he went to Historicon and needed a quick mat for his game.  His innovation was to use artist chalk.  You can read his approach on this link.  The best part is that when you want a new mat using this artist chalk approach you just wash, dry and start over.

I had time today to dabble with this idea.  I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up a mottled green cloth for $6, I then found the chalk ($3 and some change) in the section with all the colored pencils and paint brushes.  A few hours later when I had some time I put together this.  It took me no more than 20 to 25 minutes to put this together, and that is mainly due to experimenting with what I wanted to do.  If I had a blueprint to go off of for the mat I could probably crank it out in around 12 minutes.  Granted, this is only a cloth that is a yard in length since it is my template / experiment.

Artist Chalk Game Mat

Step 1: opened the cloth and put down a road.  I picked the ochre orange color, then highlighted wheel ruts with orange.  Put in a stream just for kicks to see how it would look, and a couple of fields.  You can see the chalk palate in the pictures that follow.

Step 2: I decided to outline the fields in dark green and then use black to put in the fence rows (I put in a bunch, but you'd have to zoom in to see from these pictures).  Nothing hard.  I outlined the creek in a lighter blue-white color.

The little farm in the center is a 30x40 base with
a wood monopoly pieces painted up to represent
the farmhouse and the barn  It actually works well.
There is a "tree" there too that is just model RR wire trees


Step 3: Put in a few more trees and fields and then deployed the troops.

Confederates deploy to drive the Federals from the field


On the whole I found it to be a nice look in the end.  I really like the fact that I can wash it and start over, and that I can custom design it for the scenario I want with the fields shaped exactly as I want them.  On top of that when I add hills the terrain will always fit the contour.  No more..."nuts my fences are out of alignment or the field doesn't flow well off the hill". It might not be the technique for everyone, but for me this offers me what I'm looking for at this point in my wargaming experience.

2 comments:

  1. The question is: during game play did you get chalk all over your hands, arms, elbows, and clothes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dale,

      I didn't have any issues. I was curious if it would rub off but I didn't get more than just a little bit on a finger tip. I think its due to picking up the bases and not really touching the mat.

      Delete